Saturday 1 June 2013

31st May 2013 - The Botanical Gardens

Today marked the first day of summer for me. After a horrific two weeks of exams and miserable weather, I woke up, not to the sound of my alarm, but instead the sunlight coming through my window. I was not expecting my first day of summer to actually look like summer! That's not how it works!

It was a beautiful day, so I grabbed my camera and headed down to Sheffield's Botanical Gardens. I love the Botanical Gardens, it's really pretty and the squirrels there are really tame. I love my squirrels.

I thought I'd use my 50mm to get some nice depth of field. It's the first time I've really used it for flowers since I got it in November, what with spring coming right about when I had the highest workload at uni. For a first go, it's not so bad, but I think I need to not get over-excited that I can go down to f1.8 and use a larger aperture.




I don't think the out of focus flowers in the foreground work as I wanted them to, but I still kind of like this.

This is an example of where I should have used a larger aperture. I also had problems focusing, but I haven't worked out whether this is due to my eyesight or a problem with the camera.

Probably should have used a slightly larger aperture here as well.


 This is what I mean about the squirrels being tame. I mean, I was using a 50-250mm lens at full zoom, but I was still incredibly close to him. I've also had one sit on my shoulder in the past!

Took this while waiting for this little kid to go away - he kept chasing off the squirrels. It's so lovely to be outside bare-legged at last; silly British weather.

Again here, I should have used a bigger aperture. It didn't help that my camera didn't seem to be focusing properly either though. I also think I should crop this, but I couldn't get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment